Publication date:24 September 2008
Length of book:160 pages
For students on professional Health and Social Care courses there is a requirement that they can write coherently and concisely, use information efficiently and effectively and confidently present their viewpoints and recommendations about practice to their colleagues. Essential Study Skills for Health and Social Care enables the undergraduate student to develop personal, professional and educational skills so that they can have confidence in their ability to perform both academically and in practice.
This comprehensive resource covers a wide range of topics including:
Exam techniques, report and essay writing;
Presentations and public speaking;
Learning in groups and teams;
Profiles and portfolios;
Critical thinking, analysis and reflection;
CVs and interview techniques.
Student learning is supported by student scenarios, examples, activities, end-of-chapter quizzes, references and further reading.
This book is an essential text for students who are undertaking courses at certificate, Foundation Degree, diploma and degree level. The editors and authors have paid particular attention to the essential study skills requirements within those levels as outlined in the Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) guidelines. This book provides study and skills support for all students in the health and social care professions including nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, radiologists, psychologists, healthcare support workers, foundation degree students, childcare students, youth workers, probation workers and sports sciences students.
1. IT skills and using the internet efficiently and effectively
2. Referencing, plagiarism and copyright
3. Problem-based learning and learning styles
4. Exam techniques, report and essay writing
5. Learning in groups and teams
6. Effective and efficient reading skills and note taking
7. Presentations and public speaking
8. Time management and using feedback effectively
9. Dissertation and research skills
10. Profiles and portfolios
11. Critical thinking, analysis and reflection
12. CVs and interview techniques